Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Capone's Opens With A Bang

If I have to choose a side in the pizza tug-o-war between Chicago-vs-New York style,  I'll always
pick Naples, as in Italy. Since that doesn't always go over so well, my second answer usually is NY. However, it's kind of like that annoying paper or plastic question, both work for different occasions.

My occasion for eating Chicago-style last night was the opening of Capone's Coal Fired Pizza in downtown Fort Myers. It was a VIP opening so I didn't get the full effect of a full pizza on my table, but small slices passed out by enthusiastic new employees.

The thin crusted samples were enough to make me want to come back, that's for sure. We also tried Capone's version of shrimp Alfredo and sausage and peppers.


But the buzz about this place has been more than the food, it's been about the decor. From the Tommy Guns on the front door to the men's bathroom door that looks like a jail cell. The theme is also carried over inside, while the ladies room resembles a brothel.


Another interesting feature is the vault, in the middle of the restaurant. It was fun to watch people dance around the plexiglass, afraid to step on it but enthralled by what was beneath it; money, guns, cigars and the skeleton of a gangster.


What I found even more interesting is that Al Capone has a niece living in Southwest Florida. Deirdre Marie Capone was at the opening, signing a book she wrote about her infamous Uncle Al. In it she shares some family recipes, personal photos and reveals the human side of the Chicago mobster.


Sadly, I did not get a close enough look at the wine list but I have confidence that it is adequate at the very least since Heather Knows Wine had a hand in putting it together. Congratulations Capone's, another fun addition to the downtown dining scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment