Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Wine Wednesday; Chilln' With Torrontes

I developed an affection for torrontes many years ago, the signature white wine of Argentina. I'm not sure if it was the crisp, cold wine itself or the way the word rolled off the bartenders tongue that did it for  me.

So when I went to Argentina, I was just excited to drink the torrontes as I was to consume mass amounts of malbec. Raving about the grape to my travel partner, we stopped in a swanky waterside cafe in Buenos Aires for a refresher.

My excitement turned to disappointment as the wine in my glass was more viscous and heavy than what I'd had in the past. Is this the REAL torrontes? Had I been drinking imports that appeal to the American palate?

Neither, it was just from a different region of Mendoza. Torrontes, the kind I like, is best when originating from the warmer growing areas.

It's hot in my hood this week, perfect timing for a cold glass of Trivento Torrontes Reserve! It smells a bit floral but its flavors are full of citrus and crisp tropical fruits. What a great summer sipper that also goes well with a spicy Thai soup. Even better is the price; under $15.

THIS is the torrontes I want, the only thing missing is the cute waiter to say the name with a robust accent, while looking deeply into my eyes . Happy Wine Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment