Thursday, April 2, 2015

Crazy for Coconuts

I've tried more than my fair share of flavored vodkas over the years and a few flavored rums. Most of the experiences ended with me tossing the liquid in a nearby plant and ordering something different.

So when I heard about flavored tequila I was not exactly excited. But in the name of research (for real, I was working on a 'spirits' story) I decided to give the 1800 brand a go.

The first bottle that was sent to me somehow ended up on the wrong doorstep and the neighbor who received it must've opened up the box without checking the label. Surely if they had seen my name they would've been certain the tantalizing spirit made it to its rightful owner.....surely.

In the meantime, I waited patiently for a replacement bottle while doing my best not to blowup the shipping company's costumer service line. Alas, it arrived, just in time for Easter.

Distilled three times, made with 100% Blue Agave Tequila, it is infused with just the right amount of coconut, not so much that I feel as if I'm licking a bottle of suntan lotion. Best of all, I taste the beautiful tequila that I often forsake for vodka. Thanks for not giving up on me..... luuuuvaaa (that's 'lover' in Carrie Bradshaw speak.)

As I was sipping, I thought how lovely this would have been with the fresh water I was able to slurp directly out of a real coconut the week prior while in the Bahamas. When my housemates and I were done with the juice, we broke the giant nuts open for their gel and meat. A splash of 1800 Coconut Tequila and a slice of pineapple would've been lovely.

Digging into a fresh coconut in the Bahamas

OH! And then there was the coconut French toast! tequila with a splash of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. Now we're talking. I tried it with OJ, but not quite feeling the combo. Either way, next trip to the islands I'll have to stash a bottle in my beach bag.

Coconut French Toast at Old Bahama Bay, Freeport

After doing some experimenting, I prefer this tequila on the rocks. I also like it the traditional way, with a little lime and salt.

I'm Not sure why coconut seems appropriate for Easter, maybe its the delicate sprinkles on desserts that seem like spring. Why not serve this spirit as change, with dessert. Or leave a shot for the Easter Bunny.

Now if someone can help me work the shot top without spilling.....




No comments:

Post a Comment