Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Latin Food in Lehigh Acres

Most people who go on "stay-cations" in the Fort Myers area end up at the beach. I ended up in  Lehigh Acres, a small inland community east of Fort Myers. There for not quite 24 hours helping a friend, I decided to call it a "stay-cation" to make it sound more glamorous and relaxing than it really was.

All jobs require sustenance, so my goal while there, was to check out the Latin dining options in between my sworn duties.

I had heard decent things about the somewhat new Mexican restaurant El Tarasco, but my experience was a bit of a disappointment. It was a Sunday night so maybe the A-team was home with family instead of in the kitchen and maybe because it was a pick-up order, details were overlooked in the packing. That being said, my expectations were much higher than what was delivered, both in flavor and value. Maybe next time I'll dine in and see if the experience is better?

Thank goodness for the breakfast sandwiches Monday morning from Los Amigos Grocery & Lechonera. The small spot features Puerto Rican fare for take out. The roasted meats smell divine and food served until it runs out; it always runs out.


My sandwich was massive, on pressed bread and loaded with ham, eggs, cheese and fresh cut vegetables. I can't wait to go back and try more from this spot.

The place I was really craving and perhaps looking forward to trying the most was Azucar. Serving traditional Cuban food, it was everything I hoped it would be. The Cuban sandwich was generous, the empanadas were flavorful and filling, and the tostones with garlic sauce had us fighting for the last one.

Another MUST try in Lehigh.

My circumstances required that all of the food was takeout and the photos just didn't do them justice so I opted not to share most. Instead I'll sacrifice, go back for more with a proper camera and update this blog at that time. I'm going to need an assistant, or two.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! This sandwich looks so yummy. I am going to plan a party at LA venue this week, and so I was looking for such yummy items for menu. Well I will definitely include sandwich and pizza in my menu now.

    ReplyDelete